Thursday, March 29, 2012

An expat's life...Chapter 1

The only thing I have always known about my life is that I would like to be part of the world and not stuck in the same place all my life. Same places, same people, same chats, no!!! Thank you very much...During the long chats I have with my sister, who lives in London, and with some of my expat friends, we wonder, why we feel so attracted to this life outside our country of birth.

Do not get me wrong. I love being Brazilian - I do not wish I had been born anywhere else in the world. But I also love having my heart set in the world - and my heart is part Londoner. Probably in the future will be a bit American and maybe who knows later on Asian, African!!! lol In the end, I believe we become a product of many places.

Maybe it is a reflection of our upbringing as we never really had strong roots. My dad was born in one state in Brazil (Sao Paulo), my mother was born completely on the other side of the country (Rondonia). Somehow, in this crazy life, they met, got married and moved on to another life in Recife where I spent late childhood, most of my teen years and early 20s.

In a way, my parents have always encouraged us to travel from a very early age. They could have gone by themselves, but holidays for them were never the same without us :) I am very thankful for that and will always be. Thank you mum and dad for the amazing opportunities. Maybe, that is why I have turned up to be like that. Curious about life outside my comfort zone, curious about different people, cultures, curious about the world we live in. Nothing excites me more than hopping on a plane and arriving in a destination I have never been before.

I do admire though and respect those people who are very happy spending their whole lives in the same place, going on holidays to the same place, meeting the same people all the time, talking about the same things. It is so much easier!!!! lol

But for sure, I know that is not an option for me at all. Mainly now, married to an English man and living in New York. From here, just God knows....Maybe Asia, maybe Mars, maybe England again...
the world is so big!!!!!And thankfully I have found a partner who would like to see it all as much as I do :)

I know I am very lucky to have this amazing opportunities. It was my choice,  no one's else and I could not imagine my life any different. On this road, I have made very special friends  that I could not have met otherwise. Also, living far away from Recife, I still have kept very dear people close to my heart, no matter where I am. I believe in that saying "you do not make friends, you recognize them". Very happy to recognize mine - they know who they are :) Thank you amazing people for being part of my life.

It is not easy getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks, but most of the time they are worth it. If I had not risked moving to London in 2005 for the second time I would not have met my better other half and be here now. Dreams, that is what life is about, following your dreams...When you go after them, they find you. Even if it takes a while :):):)

NYC, here I am living my dream :) What a beautiful night!!!!!!Never seen a sky like that!!! With all these shades of blue :)

Hope you enjoy!

Loads of love xxxxx
 








No comments:

Post a Comment