Saturday, February 18, 2012

Target Free Friday Nights @ MoMA

Following the list of things to do in NYC, I I went to the Target Friday Nights at the MoMA yesterday. It happens every Friday, from 4pm to 8pm and you have access to all the galleries, exhibitions and films for free. Amazing in this city!!!!! I had been to the MoMA more than 10 years ago with my mother, before the refurbishment and I was very excited to go back :) I was very lucky and did not have to queue to get in.







The MoMA has one of the world's most comprehensive collections of modern art, with works of Picasso, Dali, Max Ernst, Van Gogh, Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Pollock, Miro...The list goes on...I think you could be able to spend days there in order to absorb it all.

My 2 favorite exhibitions apart from the ongoing ones were:


  1. Diego Rivera: Murals for the Museum of Modern Art. It is on until May 14th 2012 and contains 5 of the 8 murals painted by Diego Rivera specially for the museum's exhibition in 1931-1932. It is crazy to think it was conceived in 6 weeks prior to the exhibition's starting date.
  2. Sanja Ivekovic: Sweet Violence (until March 26th 2012). I had never heard about this great Croatian photographer, sculptor and installation artist. The place of women in today's society is the main subject of her work. It is a mixture of photo montages and media installations.





 It was great to revisit work by American artists and also by European artists who found shelter in America during/after the World War 2.  I would love to learn more about it and I will :):)

Definitely it was my fault for being bored in New York :):):)

MoMA:
11 W 53rd St  New York, 10019



8 comments: