Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Book lovers paradise @ New York City - Part 1

I have always loved reading and books are very dear to my heart. In spite of being part of the kindle generation and buying most of my books online, I love stopping in bookshops I find wandering the streets of this amazing city :) If books are also your thing, New York is one of the best places in the world to indulge :):)
It gives me great pleasure holding a book in my hands and going through it. I am particularly fond of coffee table books. I wish I had the money and space to buy them all!!!!! lol I love this photo of Gwyneth Paltrow by Mario Testino for Vogue America.

Photo: Mario Testino

Anyways, after 3 months living in New York City, I have come across a few lovely bookshops and I am already looking forward to finding a few more on my way.

  • Strand Books: WOW!!!!!!! What an amazing store :):):) I have been to the main store on 828 Broadway (at the corner of 12th Street - very, very close to Union Square). I think I could spend days wandering through the wide selection of every single subject you can imagine. It is a must go for book lovers. They also sell second hand books for under $5. The coffee table books are incredible!!!!! A dream come true for the book lovers for sure!!!!

  • Around the World: This is s must go place for fashionistas. It is located in front of Bryant Park (28 West 40th Street), between 5th and 6th Avenue. You will be able to find every single fashion publication in the world.
  • Barnes&Noble : The biggest and most famous bookstore retailer in New York. 555 Fifth Avenue (between 45th and 45th Street). They are present in 6 others addresses in the city. 
  • Taschen: Some of the most beautiful artsy coffee table books can be found here. 107 Greene Street (Soho).  
  • Mo MA Store: You can shop for contemporary art books in 2 different locations: in the museum itself  or at the store in Soho (81 Spring St, at Crosby Street).  
  • The Drama Bookshop: In this bookshop you can find scripts, theatre books and publications of drama related subjects. When I walked in this shop there were so many people around reading. Not sure if something was going on or if they were actors/writers waiting for a rehearsal or anything like that lol 250 West 40th Street, between 7th and 8th Avenue.

9 comments: