Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Chelsea Hotel - a piece of living history

When I go grocery shopping at my beloved Trader Joe's, I usually walk by the legendary Hotel Chelsea. Once home of many musicians, writers, artists and actors. Among them: Mark Twain, Tennessee Williams, Patti Smith, Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin.
It was there that Andy Warhol, Edie Sedgwick and Candy Darling made the underground film Chelsea Girls, based on the lives of young women who lived in the hotel.
The hotel is a designated New York landmark and it has been closed for guests since last year, when it was sold to a New York developer. The nearly 100 residents were allowed to stay while it is undergoing massive renovations.
Would love to go inside and have a look at it!




Hotel Chelsea: 222 West 23rd Street

1 comment:

  1. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not everyday that I have the possibility to see something like this.. sober living ny

    ReplyDelete