Monday, February 13, 2012

Things I love about living in New York :)

It has been nearly 3 months since we settled in Manhattan and I already have started my list of things I love about this amazing city. I know this list will change many times with time and each new discovery. It is always good to start at some point though. Here we go:
  • Amount and diversity of restaurants/cuisine/street food/diners, etc. Even If I lived here all my life, I am sure I would not experience a fair amount of what New York has to offer in terms of food. Also, I love the fact there are still so many independent and tiny places to eat comparing to London where most places belong to chains.
  • The Brunch experience. One of my favourites!!!!! If I could I would go out for brunch everyday :):) So far, I have been to incredible places and can't wait to explore even more. I have a crush on French Toasts lol 
  • Cheap transport (subway and taxis)
  • The city's energy 
  • The amazing skyline - can't get enough of looking out of my window and facing the Empire State, The Chrysler Building, The New York Times building (the new one), etc. Have to find out more about other buildings too.
  • The weather. I know I have been very lucky as this winter so far has been quite mild. However, I love the constant sunshine and blue sky. It is nearly 5pm now and the sun is still shining outside :):) It still feels weird wearing sunglasses during winter. In London, I hardly wore them during summer lol
  • People have been so fantastic and friendly! On the other hand, they get annoyed easier here lol Coming from London where people say sorry all the time when they stumble on you even if it wasn't their fault is a big change. Have seen quite a few heated arguments because of that lol
  • It is easier to live. Everything is 24 hours and all is possible. In the shops you find things you would never thought would exist!!! New Yorkers seem to be very spoiled by services available.  I think I will get spoiled too!!!
  • Diversity of shops in areas such as Lower East Side, East Village, West Village, Nolita, Bowery, Noho, Soho and the list goes on. I do miss the British high streets and flea markets though. People are much more stylish and eccentric on the other side of the pond. I have the impression, fashion here is much more commercial. 
  • Trader Joe's
  • Eataly - I take everyone there :):) Love it!!!!
  • Meatpacking District - I like the vibe of the place
  • Chelsea Market - have to go to all those food stalls!!!!
  • Nolita, Lower East Side, Gramercy, Bowery and Soho somehow remind me of London. 
  • The boat trip to Ikea lol 
  • Central Park
  • Oh, the burgers and cupcakes :):) Hummmmmmmm - very worried with my waistline at the moment! lol
  • The High Line (what a wicked idea!!!!). Love the fact it is 5 minutes away from my flat.
  • The roof decks - so looking forward to summer to enjoy them properly. 
Can't wait to start making friends as well :):)  I am sure this list will have part 2, 3, 4,5, 6,7,8, 9, etc as time goes on ;-) We have to start exploringon other areas as well such as Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn and State Island. Can't wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment