Monday, February 13, 2012

London & New York City - cities made of big dreams

No doubt New York has a very different energy. All the lights, the skyscrapers, the restlessness, but above all, what makes big cities such as London and New York so special are the people. One of the best descriptions I have found whilst researching about the city was written by the American writer E.B White on his book Here is New York:

"There are roughly three New Yorks. There is, first, the New York of the man or woman who was born there, who takes the city for granted and accepts its size, its turbulence as natural and inevitable. Second, there is the New York of the commuter--the city that is devoured by locusts each day and spat out each night. Third, there is New York of the person who was born somewhere else and came to New York in quest of something. Of these trembling cities the greatest is the last--the city of final destination, the city that is a goal. It is this third city that accounts for New York’s high strung disposition, its poetical deportment, its dedication to the arts, and its incomparable achievements. Commuters give the city its tidal restlessness, natives give it solidity and continuity, but the settlers give it passion. And whether it is a farmer arriving from a small town in Mississippi to escape the indignity of being observed by her neighbours, or a boy arriving from the Corn Belt with a manuscript in his suitcase and a pain in his heart, it makes no difference: each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, each absorbs New York with the fresh yes of an adventurer, each generates heat and light to dwarf the Consolidated Edison Company..."

I love this excerpt and identify myself with the third group :) Still not sure what I am after, but I am sure I will find out at some point. Moving to London was a sort of quest as well. There I found out about myself, my other better half and the sort of person I would like to become.  As I said before, feeling part of the world was always my goal. Here I am in another completely different situation, following my husband's steps. In London I found love and about myself, here in NY I do not have a clue. Honestly, if someone had said 1 year and half ago that I would be moving to America, I would have laughed. Life is absolutely crazy!!! That is why it is so fascinating at the same time :)

In the meantime, while I try to work out what to do here I day dream, write and feel blessed for the opportunity to be living in this amazing city.  

Must confess sometimes I walk around with my ipod very lound listening to Empire State of Mind lol It does feel good and I sing along!!!! #crazyandhappymoments :) 




3 comments:

  1. Que lindo, Lulu! <3
    Just open your heart and wait for the beauty to happen!
    Sooner or later, your mission will be clear for you. For me it is alreday clear: you are here to inspire others, just like Lili said!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Mari crab :):):) Inspiring eh vc <3 amo muito!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete