Sunday, March 18, 2012

My EAD has been approved!!!! So happy :):)

At last, amazing news!!!!!!! After 3 months, 1 week and 6 days I finally received an email from USCIS saying my EAD (Employment Authorization Document) had been approved :):):) It means that I can finally start job hunting in America. Hooray!!!!!! Could not be happier :):):)

I realised I have not explained how/which visa we had in order to move to America....Well, my husband was transferred from the London office to the New York office on a L1 Visa (Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager). There is more information about this particular visa here. As spouse I was granted the L2 Visa, where I am allowed to work in the US. However, what I didn't know prior our arrival here was that I would have to apply for the EAD. And that the EAD average processing time would be 3 months...If you are relocating to America, beware!!! Whilst my husband went to work straight away, I had to wait all this time.

It was very hard for me (believe it!!!!) to stay all this time without working. As I explained before in a previous post "How the blog was born...", all this situation made me start writing in order to keep my sanity lol I am very glad I did, because this blog has become my therapy!!!!

As I am talking about bureaucratic issues, I have to  mention the Social Security Number (SSN) as well. In order to apply for a job or to start building a credit rating history in this country you need to have one. Applying for the SSN was very straightforward and quick. It took 10 days from the moment I applied to the moment I received the card home.This website will give you further information.

Basically you need to fill out form SS-5 and take it to one of the Social Security office in the city you are living. I had to take my passport with the I-94 form and my marriage certificate.

Now, with my EAD + Social Security Number I am ready to start earning some American dollars!!!! lol Fingers crossed!!!! 

I am more than happy to help with any questions.

Love

xxxxxx



1 comment: