Thursday, February 16, 2012

Things to do in New York when you are very bored and tired of waiting for your EAD....

I am so bored!!!!!! And waiting...Waiting for my bloody EAD in order to start job hunting :( It has been exactly 75 days I have applied for it and still waiting...I was thinking about going for a wander today, but felt so lazy to go on my own. To feel better I have started researching things to do with my hubby during the weekend. The first thing I read when I opened the book was:

"If you're bored in New York, it's your own fault." - Myrna Loy

Yes, maybe it is!!!! lol Anyways, to make me feel better, I have decided to sketch a plan of places to go following some guide books advice (not the wisest as I am one for avoiding the very touristic places...). My parents-in-law are visiting us next week from England, maybe I can use some of these tips myself. Not sure as it isn't their first time in New York and and I am sure they have done most of it as well lol Anyways, here we go:

  1. Empire State Building - Have been there a long time ago and look at it the whole day from my window!!!! Why I would I want to go there??? lol I love looking at it every day to find out which colour it will be in the evening. It is amazing to think it was the tallest building in the world until 1970 and 1072, when the Twin Towers were built. I love the movie Affair to Remember as well. It was on TV last week :)
  2. Central Park: Have been there so many times recently!!!!! What else can I do in the park during the winter??? Maybe I should go for a run there?? Possibly...
  3. Ice skating at Rockefeller Centre: Not sure if my parents-in-law would be keen on that. Maybe I can take them for a stroll around the rink :)
  4. American Museum of Natural History: I think it is a pretty museum from outside and certainly has great stuff inside. But paying $19 admission fee ?? :(:( The Hayden Planetarium is supposed to be amazing though. Maybe...Again, you would have to pay $19 ...Or you could buy the ticket package to the Museum and Rose Center for Earth and Space plus all special exhibitions, IMAX films, and the Hayden Planetarium Space Show for $33. Sounds so expensive!!!!! Sometime I have to forget about how things work in London, where most museums are free ;-)
  5.  Frick Museum: This Museum is definitely on my list!!!!! Have heard lovely things about it. The collection is made mostly of European art. Again $18 dollars to get in...
  6. Lincoln Center: I love this complex of beautiful buildings and would love to go to opera or to the ballet there one day. It is New York's centrepiece for performing arts, having as residents 12 companies such as the New York City Ballet, the American Ballet Theatre, the New York Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera. Can't wait to go there in the summer when dance bands perform in the central Josie Robertson Plaza as part of the center's Midsummer Night Swing series. It is worthy going there as well to see Marc Chagall murals Source of Music and Triumph of Music hanging behind the Opera's facade. The library in the complex is great as well :) I will definitely take them there and will try to learn more about it. 
  7. Metropolitan Museum of Art: It is a beautiful place to visit and there is always so much going on. Another good choice! :)
  8. Museum of Modern Art: I have been there a long time ago. Actually, it was before the refurbishment. It is on my list as well. Apparently it is free admission on Fridays between 4pm and 8pm. There is a very interesting exhibition with Diego Rivera's murals. 
  9. Time Square/42nd Street: I can see it from my window and walk around the area at least 2 times per week lol I will give it a miss for the moment!!! 
  10. Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island: The access to the pedestal and crown of the Statue of Liberty is currently unavailable due to renovations. Might have to stick to the Ellis Island Immigration Museum :)
Yes, If I am bored it is my fault!!!!!!!! I will make these lists just to make me feel guilty and stop saying I am bored!!!! :):):) 

5 comments:

  1. tava nela hj de manha kkkkkkkkkk :):):) eh o caminho forward amiga linda!!!!!!! sunshine + blue sky = happiness :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have made this list because you are bored but It is great for a tourist! Me and my girlfriend booked a new york serviced apartment and literally did everything on your list! How can you be bored!! I was fascinated with new york when I first got there! If the inlaws are foodies take them to a new York bagel shop! We have nothing like this in England and NYC bagels are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right AndyJames, NY is amazing!!!! Everyday I discover something new :) When I wrote this post I was very bored because I could not work, had no friends here and had been to most places on the list already. Now I am working I have no time to do anything lol Glad to hear you enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Priceline frequently as well as am satisfied with the accomodations and costs.
    My webpage > www.cheap-hotels-in-nyc.net

    ReplyDelete