Thursday, March 15, 2012

The American health system $$$$$$$ x NHS in England

Yesterday I had my first experience with the American health system and I am still in shock!!!!! It made me realise how the NHS isn't that bad and how capitalist this side of the pond is... OK, the NHS is far from being perfect, but it is much more human and offers people a fair treatment regardless of how much they have in their bank accounts. We did have a health insurance in London, but hardly used it as the NHS covered everything else.
I left my house happy and came back feeling I had been ripped off :( Oh dear!!!! That is because we have private health insurance, if we hadn't God knows how I would be feeling. I wonder how people who can't afford cope :( After seeing so many Hollywood movies about it, I should have expected such a thing.
Even if you have a health insurance, you have to pay the co-pay fee every time you go to see a doctor. In my case, I needed to pay $20. Next week I will have to go back for a follow up and will have to pay $20 dollars again!!!
When I went to the pharmacy to buy the medicine which had been prescribed to me I found out I would have to pay $60 dollars for it. It would have cost $134 if I did not have a health insurance.
Also, the doctor prescribed a branded medicine. If she had prescribed a generic, it would have cost $7 dollars and my insurance would have paid for that.

Lessons learnt:

  1. Always make sure you ask the doctor if the medicine being prescribed has a generic version
  2. Check how much the medicine costs in different pharmacies, even if they do not accept your health insurance 
  3. More and more I realise how Brazil is influenced by America - the healthy insurance back there works the same way as it does here! OMG!
  4. NHS I love you <3
  5. Hope for the best health wise in this country- fingers crossed!!!!#
 Can't complain about the doctor though!!!! She was great :)

Please correct me If I am wrong!!!!! It was just my impression :)

No comments:

Post a Comment